Find Freight Forwarder | Freight forwarding company | FTL | Digital freight forwarder | DHL
Find Freight forwarders
What is a freight forwarder and why do you need one
Are you looking for a freight forwarder?
Definition freight forwarder
In simple terms, a freight forwarder is a company that specializes in assisting its customers on moving freight from one place to another, in the most efficient and simple way possible.
A freight forwarder acts as an intermediary between a shipper and the final point of destination. Its role is to establish longstanding relationships with carriers, negotiate the best possible prices to move its customer’s goods and by doing so, ensure speed, efficiency and reliability during the entire transport process.
This is what Freight forwarders do for you
A freight forwarder has to ensure that the freight is picked up from the shipper and delivered to the contact person at the right time, in the right place, with the right price and in the same condition the freight has been picked up by using the best services and routing available.
With Saloodo! as your digital freight platform, you can:
A freight forwarder does not actually move the freight by itself
Think of a freight forwarder as a source of expertise and knowledge, specialized in ensuring that your goods will arrive at the right destination, saving you time and costs. Taking upon yourself the entire work without help will result in additional pressure of getting entire logistics of shipping goods right.
As the freight forwarder does not move the freight by itself, it cannot be held responsible for shipping delays. This is especially the case when these delays occur because of factors such as traffic jams, route changes, bad weather or breakdowns. In fact, no one can be held responsible for unforeseen incidents and although it can be frustrating, it is important to recognize this is out of your freight forwarder’s reach.
You need a freight forwarder when...
A freight forwarder takes care of the entire transportation process. This includes processing the documents, arranging the transport with carriers on your behalf, being the point of contact for all inquiries and providing customer service support. Besides saving you a lot of time, unforeseen costs and potential headaches, a freight forwarder also provides the service of finding reliable transportation at competitive rates.
Criteria for freight forwarders
Some freight forwarders provide more services than others, depending on the customer’s need and resources but in general, they must be able to provide most of the following:
- Be able to provide the best cost and efficient freight transport solutions depending on the customer’s need
- Secure storage for freight (a few may outsource)
- Be experienced in all modes of transports, unless the customer is looking for a freight forwarder specialized in one mode of transport
- Negotiate freight rates to provide the best prices for shipping the customer’s goods
- Provide access to all relevant documentation or any other written forms associated with shipping and transport
- Arrange transportation of the freight from/to the customer’s point of pick-up and delivery
- Have knowledge of cross-border freight movement
- Act as a single point of contact before, during and after the transport
- Offer customer service assistance and support for all enquires whenever asked for by the customer
*Except for the points mentioned, there are other added efforts that go into organizing the customer’s transport
Types of freight forwarding companies
- Global forwarders with existing infrastructure and international facilities, able to handle all functions of freight forwarders (for instance: DHL Global Forwarding). These types of forwarders normally work with international customers and have connections with both global and regional carriers.
- National or international 3PL and 4PL freight forwarders who do not have the necessary facilities or their own infrastructure. These types of freight forwarders can carry activities as a global forwarder would but on a sub-contracted basis.
- Digital freight forwarders that drive their freight business on technology and data.
Find freight forwarders with Saloodo!
Describe your shipment
Planning ahead will help you eliminate unforeseen costs. This is why it’s important to define your transport requirements at an earlier stage. Details such as pallet dimensions, weight, pick-up & delivery locations, and dates should be known before you post a transport request.
Choose from 6000+ verified carriers
Saloodo! gives you access to a growing network of carriers verified according to DHL’s Code of Conduct. You have the freedom to decide who will transport your shipment based on the offers you receive.
Track & Trace
After you selected the offer that suits your request, you can start tracking the progress of your shipment. You also have access to live chat support and customer service assistance. This way, you have a full overview of the entire shipping process and you can always follow-up on the transport status.